Tuesday, November 13, 2007

i love my job

One of the things I love about my job is meeting people. Sometimes there are people that are angry about this or that, but for the most part I meet very nice people. Today I happened to meet two.

Brad is an 87 year old retired professor (commercial art I think) from the University here. He had lots to say about how things have changed his life (technology and such) and his views on the local, state, and federal government. He even told me about his daughter who is developing a new show with Lilly Tomlin for HBO. Very interesting man.

Then I met V, Brad's neighbor, who just recently moved here. She has the most wonderful flower garden and was quick to tell me all about it. And you know I was eager to listen. She even gave me a plant to take home with me.

Sometimes I think about asking people like this if I can interview them for my blog. But I'm afraid they'll think I'm some kind of whacko. A lot of people I talk to don't even know what a blog is. It's just that usually I meet elderly people (because they're usually the ones home during the day) and they have such interesting stories. They are so anxious to talk to whomever will listen. This is just part of the reason I love my job.

2 comments:

Sailor said...

Maybe, if you set up an interview, you could show them how it would look- even a printout of a blog post, or something, might help.

Try describing it as a "human interest column", but rather than in a newspaper, it's read on the computer. They may surprise you with their willingness, and their understanding

Anonymous said...

I sometimes wish I had a job where I could meet some intersting people. Then again, would I even know it? I mean, my social skillz rarely get me past "Hi, I'm XI. And you are?". Then awkward silence.

Kudos to you for taking the time to get to know the interesting people you meet!