Saturday, September 24, 2005

heaven

Last night I had a dream about my Mom (she died 3 years ago). I'm sure it's because I had been at my aunt's house and we were looking through some pictures of my Mom; pictures I had and hadn't seen from the last 10 years of her life. I probably dream about Mom 2 or 3 times a week, but usually I don't remember the dream. What I remember is that it seemed so real. That I could feel her presence and hear her voice.

The other day I was driving to work and heard a preacher on the radio teaching about Heaven. He talked about a lot of different things, like will there be animals in Heaven or will we be married to our spouses. He talked about things I agreed with and things I didn't. But one thing he did say, that I had never thought much about, was whether or not we will know each other the way we do now; will we recognize each other.

It only makes sense, though, when you really think about it. If the disciples knew who Jesus was after He was raised from the dead, of course we will recognize each other. And our names are written in the Lambs Book of Life; we have an identity. We're not going to be just "heavenly beings."

Of course, I'm probably not going to be there searching everyone out as though it's a reunion. I imagine the first hundred years or so I'll just be asking God about all those things I don't quite understand now. I imagine I will be too consumed sitting at Jesus' feet to really think about who else is there. Besides, I really don't have to worry about it. I'll probably walk in and sit down right next to Mom.

No comments: