Thursday, November 20, 2008

the virus is in the mail

The other day I received an email, presumably from UPS, notifying me that the package I had sent on October 19 was undeliverable. The email gave instructions to download the attached invoice and bring it to UPS and pick up the package or I would be charged $6.

The problem was I hadn't sent a package, though I was expecting to receive one. I checked the order I had made and discovered my package was being shipped via USPS not UPS. Next I searched on email hoaxes and discovered I had, in fact, received an email hoax with a virus attached.

With the holidays nearly in full swing and people sending packages probably more than any other time of the year, I wanted to share this with you. NEVER downlaod attachments to an email unless you are sure you know the sender.

No comments: