Sunday, June 08, 2008

the trellis

Building a good vineyard trellis is very improtant . . . because it can influence significantly the long-term productivity . . . Durability is important because the real cost of a vineyard trellis is determined by its years of service . . . .*

I am the trellis. The load is easy, but becomes more difficult as the plant grows and is laden with its heavy fruit. This would describe me, I think, in most of my relationships. Whether as a wife, mother, sister, daughter or friend, even strangers, I feel the obligation to carry the burdens of others and try to hold them up.

Over the years, I think it has become less of an obligation and more of a desire. Which is good, because now it doesn't seem to be so overwhelming. I'm not trying to help everyone and I'm not supposed to. I've learned who in my life, at the moment, I'm intended to lift up and those I'm not.



Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest
if we do not give up.
Galatians 6:9


*Michigan State University Extension

3 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

Reading this, and then going back to the comments in the prior post, I'm struck with that "ah ha!" thing where I can stand here and say that yep, I need to not spend my entire waking life devoted to the needs and care of others at the neglect of myself. I've really done that a time or two. "Me" needs a spot higher up on the 'to do' list.

(and while I can see someone taking that last sentence and absolutely running with it, I shall leave it! I'm doing that for me!)

Desmond Jones said...

Hey, you grabbed a quote from my alma mater!

See, 'years of service' is a good thing. There's got to be something bigger than 'me' to live for. . .

Anonymous said...

Support in the time of need. I can see that.



Class of '80? You mean we graduated together? How'd I ever miss you? :)

And wow, if you took another picture in the same pose as that senior pic it'd be tough to tell which was which. You've hardly changed!