Saturday, May 17, 2008

it's a tough job

If you've been reading this blog long, you know I don't work in an office. So I thought it would be fun to share some of the advantages of working outside -- aside from not having to sit under fluorescent lights eight hours a day.

Year-Round Tan - My arms and face anyway. I use a shake-n-fake tan on my legs. And by vacation time, I'll hit the tanning bed for a week so the rest of me can catch up.

Reading Days - There are some things we could do when it rains, but for the most part we don't. No, on the days it rains, I get to ride around (because I'm not the driver) while I read books, blogs and anything else I find on the internet.

Outdoor Plumbing -- Being the only woman on the crew has it's advantages. The guys are nice enough to me that, when it's absolutely necessary, they'll stand guard outside the port-a-john on construction sites. The facilities pictured here, in the back yard of a recent job, is where I draw the line!

Gardening Ideas - There are days I have to work in the street, but my favorite jobs are in the ritzy neighborhoods with the beautifully landscaped gardens. Usually, if the homeownwers are outside, they will answer questions about the types of flowers and care they need. Last year a woman even gave me a couple of plants.

Domestic Animals -- Of course, working outdoors there's always the possibility of having to deal with dogs barking at you (hopefully from the other side of the fence). But depending on where you are in the city, there are the occasions when you can see some of these . . . .

Aside from the bathroom thing, I never thought in my wildest dreams, I would ever have a job that I would get paid to get a tan, catch up on my reading, get gardening tips, and see cocks up close and personal. I love my job!

7 comments:

Therese in Heaven said...

Wait...there are places in the city where people can have chickens?

Sounds like a great job!

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought I would drop in here and read a post that included pictures of cocks and toilets.

Now I know, be ready for anything.

Other than that, a little jealous of the outdoor job.

for a different kind of girl said...

I always smirk when the 'c word' gets injected into a post. Where does one submit a resume? Aside from the tanning part (I am like a vampire when it comes to sun!), this sounds like a dream job! I've a huge stack of neglected books I need to get to!

Little Town Big Life said...

Just read your post about Oprah. I am sooo disappointed in her. She influences too many people, and now her influence has been manipulated, twisted, and baptised with "new age". Perhaps she and Carlton Pearson can start their own church!!!


Thank you for taking a stand, and for putting some real definitions behind words that we have given new meanings through the years.

God Bless!

Bogart said...

Just be careful...I hear those things can get mean...the cocks, not the residents.

Desmond Jones said...

Who knew there were places here in the good ol' US of A, where people have their cocks out in public view like that. . .

Ever see any teats?

;)

FTN said...

As the great philosopher Peter Gibbons once said, human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements.

I envy your outdoorsiness. And I shall refrain from making any cock jokes.